Red = recent additions.
Flipside Gaming in East Greenbush will be hosting a semi-competitive event on Saturday, November 21, 2015. This is a rather laid-back tournament using some modified Maelstrom of War missions. ALL prizes for this event will be based on Best Overall. You are welcome to bring whatever models and attitude you desire, but it will be great benefit to you if you come with great-looking models, a good attitude, and a killer's instinct!
Entry Fee: $10
Additional 50/50 Raffle benefiting FaT Mats for the Club: $1 per chance
|9:00 - 9:30||Registration|
|9:30 – 9:45||Table assignments|
|9:45 - 12:45||Game 1|
|12:45 - 1:30||Lunch and appearance judging|
|1:30 - 4:30||Game 2|
|4:45 - 7:45||Game 3|
|7:45 - 8:00||Prizes and clean-up|
40k Force Organization:We are using the standard ITC Force Organization method for this tournament. The only difference is that lists are 2000 POINTS.
- 2+ Re-Rollable Saves: Please note that the change to the 2+ reroll save is still in effect. For example, any save of any type of a 2+ that can be rerolled is failed on the second roll of a 1, 2 or 3.
- Invisibility: The Invisibility Psychic Power has been modified as such: a unit shooting at a unit that is currently Invisible will hit at BS1 instead of Snap Firing. A unit attacking a unit that is currently invisible in melee hits on 5s instead of 6s. Abilities which modify BS or hit on a set number respectively can overcome this restriction.
- Barrage and Imperial Knights: “Top” is considered an option to protect your Imperial Knight with its directional shields. Declaring “Top” protects you from Barrage and Barrage-like weapons (bombs, etc). Declaring “side” does not.
- Best Save: A unit's "Best Save" will be calculated as whichever save has the most likelihood of ignoring the wound. This includes re-rolls.
- Zooming Blasts: Models in Zooming or Soaring mode cannot be hit by nor targeted by blast or Template weapons.
- The Saint Is Dead: If Saint Celestine or any other model is incapacitated (as a marker or otherwise not in play) at the end of the game, they are considered killed for all victory conditions.
- Fast Dice: If your opponent requests that you use Fast Dice for your rolls when you can, you must do so. The only reason to roll one die at a time for saves which could use Fast Dice would be for either superstitious or cheating reasons. The odds are otherwise the same.
- The Bigger They Are…: Super Heavy and Gargantuan Creatures can never claim to be in cover when the model itself is not at least 25% in cover. This means that positioning of the model is essential to gaining a cover save. This is as opposed to keeping a “toe in area terrain for cover”. This is done to help balance out the use of larger models in competitive play.
- Sevrin Loth has returned from his escapades, however he doesn't want to talk about what happened. An army containing Sevrin Loth may only comprise of units with the Adeptus Astartes Red Scorpions Faction or no Faction.
- Tall Models and Ruins: If an assaulting Walker, Superheavy Walker, Monstrous Creature, or a Gargantuan Monstrous Creature is at least face-level with a model which is on a level of a ruins, then the assaulting model does not need to count the levels up in order to assault the model on that level; it only needs to roll an assault distance equal to its horizontal distance. The assaulting model moves horizontally as far as it can, reaches out, and attacks the target unit. When measuring in this manner, do so from the closest point on the assaulting model, whether it's a part of the body or the base. Ignore any body parts that are normally ignored for cover purposes (melee weapons, etc.). This rule assumes that the assaulting model being used is modeled at reasonably equal height to the retail model kit.
- Voidshields and Markerlights: Guidance from the ITC organizers indicate that Voidshields do not intercept Markerlights. This may change in the future.
- Fateweaver's Re-roll: Guidance from the ITC indicates that Fateweaver's re-roll from the Staff of Tomorrow works while the model is alive whether it is on the board or not. However, if the model is considered destroyed, then the army does not benefit from the re-roll.
Rules issues will be dealt with swiftly by a roaming judge. We use a hierarchy for determining rules issues as follows:
- Main Rule Book
- Games Workshop FAQs and Errata,
- Tournament-specific clarifications and rulings on terrain (see the Terrain section below),
- The Tournament-specific house rules listed above,
- Consensus of judges present at the time.
Please note, that these judgments are final at the time of the ruling and constant attempts to break the same rules throughout the event will be dealt with appropriately.
What to Bring:
Terrain will be static and narratively-placed by the judges. If both players agree, however, some terrain may be moved (please be respectful with the treatment of the terrain at the event).
The player scoring the highest of all combined scores wins Best Overall with ties going to Battle Points. For the purposes of this tournament, Best General and Best Overall will share the top prize, but the player with Best General will be the winner for ITC purposes.
Every scenario is worth 25 Battle Points. How many Battle Points you score is based on how much you win the mission by. So, you score each scenario using Victory Points the same way you would from the Rules. Refer to the chart below.
In the event of a tabling, the score is also 25/0.
|Victory Point Difference||Victor's Battle Points||Defeated's Battle Points|
In the event of a tabling, the score is also 25/0.
Additionally, the following scores are awarded:
Maximum Battle Points for the tournament: 118pts
What constitutes "tabletop standard", "a vast majority", “a large number”, or “a handful” of models is up to the Judge’s discretion. Also note that the examples given next to a points score is just that... an example. Other factors can be involved in a points score. Suffice to say, Appearance Scoring is extremely subjective.
The player with the best appearance score will win Best Appearance with tiebreakers being decided by the players voting for favorite army.
General Score (up to 11pts):
Basing Score: (up to 4pts):
Modeling score (up to 4pts - note breakdown adds up to 6, but max is 4):
Miscellaneous (up to 6pts - note breakdown adds up to 11, but max is 6):
Judges are also encouraged to take into account difficulty level and model count, to some extent, for the awarding of Judge’s Discretion points, though the award is entirely up to them and players are asked not to grill the Judge on their final decision. If the Judge feels threatened or put off by questions by the players, the Judge is encouraged to alert the Tournament Organizer so that penalties may be incurred on the player’s sportsmanship score. Asking for advice on how to improve one’s painting, however, is highly encouraged.
Maximum Appearance score for the tournament: 25pts
At the end of the tournament, each player will offer a vote for Favorite Opponent and a Second-Favorite Opponent. Each Favorite Opponent vote is worth 5 points and each Second Favorite Opponent vote is worth 3 points. Each player also receives 5 points if no complaints are lodged against them throughout the tournament.
Maximum Sportsmanship score for the tournament: 25pts
We will be using a random Maelstrom of War mission from the Rules. An alternate random deployment method will be selected and each used once during the tournament. You may use any official Tactical Objectives deck you wish as per the rules for TacO decks found in the rulebook and codexes.
We have some minor adjustments to the scoring of Tactical Objectives:
- When you draw a Tactical Objective, you may immediately discard it if it would be categorically impossible to score throughout the game. For example, if your opponent has no Psykers alive on the field or in reserve, you may discard any Tactical Objective that calls for you to affect an enemy Psyker. This does not count towards your 1 discard per turn. If you do not discard this card when it is drawn, but want to get rid of it later, you must use your 1 discard as per the normal rules for discarding.
- Any Tactical Objective that scores d3 Victory Points instead scores 2 Victory Points.
Tertiary Objectives will be varied. See this space for updates. Feel free to use the ITC tertiary missions for practice.
The prizes will be based on Overall score, combining Battle, Appearance, and Sportsmanship scores. We will at least have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize. If there is a lot of participation, we will also add some door prizes.